The Game of Poker and Life

Musings on the game of poker and life---from a woman's point of view. What happens when you mix poker, alcohol, men and women????? ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Why Did I Take 5 Months Off?

So I guess by now, most people know that I took about 5 months off of poker (as evidenced by my lack of writing), and from hosting poker tournaments also. Last night someone asked me why I would take 5 months off. And I said I just needed a break. Well, while the tournament was going on, I did have an opportunity to think about it. And I still don't have the full answer, but I'm sure it will come to me in time.

Up til December, I had been playing/working poker almost every night for about 8 months. And believe me, that could have continued because I ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY love NL poker! I love the game, I love to watch my skills improve, I enjoy the comraderie, and that every night was like a party night.

Then some stuff came up in my personal life that needed to be taken care of, and I didn't have the energy to play at night...and I also started to re-assess how I was spending my free time. Yes, it's important to have a hobby or a passion----but when it is all a person does---doesn't it take become more of an addiction? And the hours I was keeping weren't helping me to wake up at 6am for my day job either.

So I went cold turkey....and found that I wasn't really missing being out every night. I missed the people...but other than that, I was okay not playing. Eventually though, I started playing online, and from there, I went to LA for the WPT filming adventure....and had my 19 hour NL marathon (which I never did fully write about)---and well...I had such a blast, that I was ready to play again. When I got home, I started with the cash games again, and in April started to host again.

I'm back to hosting 4 nights a week, for now, and playing the other 3 nights. I'm not sure how I am feeling about being out 7 nights a week, 'cause I am never home--but I am beginning to enjoy being around people again (I also went into hibernation/seclusion for those 5 months), and as long as I don't go into overwhelm with the noise, and rude players, then I will continue to have fun this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home